Wednesday, February 10, 2010

home improvement

I have been in the mood lately to do all sorts of home improvement projects -- mostly inspired by websites like this, and watching too much HGTV. Which I blame for my wanting to get these projects all done in 30 minutes -- that is all the longer it takes them on TV!!!

My project tonight really did only take about an hour -- I repained our HIDEOUS countertops in our upstairs bathroom!! Forgot to take "before" pictures but here is the "after" picture. For those of you who havent had the pleasure of seeing our upstairs bathroom, let's just say that the counter tops used to match our 60s-gold-toned sink. {that is on my 'fix-it' list too by the way}. The color I used was called "haystack".
This was really way easier than I ever thought. I had been doing some searching on the internet about how to paint countertops - and it all involved sanding, priming, then coating with epoxy, etc... WAY too long of a process for my short attention span! Then I was in Lowes (sorry Bobby, no Home Depot in Grand Forks) the other day and came across THIS stuff - it is countertop paint by RustOleum. All I had to do was wash off the counter, put on some painters tape, and then paint. No 2nd/3rd coats, nothing! We will see how it keeps up but the $19 I spent on the paint (which I still have 3/4+ of the can left) was way cheaper than getting it replaced. Wish I would have came across this stuff 2 1/2 years ago when we bought our house! I see they also make sink & tub paint. Will want to wait until spring though to take on that project as it is very smelly paint!

1 comment:

kristen said...

yes, that would have been nice to know a couple years ago. Our bathroom countertops were PINK! with green wallpaper.